Saturday, May 5, 2012

Absolute Fitness Gym

Yesterday i had very bad experience with Absolute Fitness gym... thinking of terminating the membership. if you wanna be their member, pls think twice.

- the management cut all our lockers padlocks without notifying us.
- throw our belongings in the store room.
- instead of trying to explain why they do so but the manager banged the table.
- the owner did not listen to the member complaints but instead claimed that i raised my voice and hang-up our phones a few times.
- the owner asked 3 men to cornered me in the store room while i was collecting my things.
- the Owner has no professional ethics to deal with situation but instead shouting on top of his voice and kick the clothes on the floor to me. i repeat kick the clothes towards me while i was sorting so many stuff.

Story... (if you want to know details)
Yesterday afternoon I went to Queensbay mall ABSOLUTE FITNESS. I was shocked to see my locker emptied and my padlock missing... I went to asked the Staff and he mentioned that his management decided to cut all padlocks and put our staff in the store room... i was puzzled and went to store room with shock at the same time with frustration that how can a brand name like this do such thing!

So I decided to approached the Manager (Mr Darren - District Manager) for explanation. Honestly I didn't know about paid rental locker as I was not brief. The first 2 times I visited the gym, I didn't have pad lock and I asked the front desk to keep my belongings while i exercise. After the 3rd time, the front desk told me i can buy a pad lock to keep my stuff... I confirmed this with a friend at Autocity and they did the same (buy their own padlock)... happy as it is and I bought the pad lock to store my belongings in the locker.

Today I went and all my stuff and padlock gone! Not only me but many people were affected too... I was a bit excited (i did not raised my voice) but only EXCITED as i believe many would react the same way... I asked the Manager what happened and why did they cut pad locks without informing us! He didn't explained why but only mentioned the lockers are used for daily usage members (which I am totally puzzled as I don't understand at all and was not even brief about it). And then I said what do you mean by daily usage. And this is not right at all as I could accused Absolute Fitness for theft to simply cut open our padlocks. And how can the management do as they wish! Without apologizing or explaining, Darren tried to raised his voice and replied “This is the Management decision! The Owner itself cut the padlocks!” then Manager BANGED THE TABLE! I looked at him and said, "You bang the table (with stern voice)" And asked for his big boss to come see me.

So, he contacted his boss (Kelvin) and i spoke to him on the phone. I was polite when I speak to him and even asked for his name... So, I started to explained but not even halfway, he said this is his decision and we should follow! I was trying to tell him actually NOT so much about the pad lock but was trying to tell him that his Manager was rude to bang the table. Moreover, I honestly don't even know about the rental rules for overnight storage. He hang up my phone a few times and I finally gave up and told him, I want to terminate my membership and I want a refund. I don't want to talk anymore and will make a police report.

So, I walked to the police station and made a report and the Inspector asked me to meet him at 3.30pm in front of Absolute Fitness. I went back and sat outside the entrance. Mr Shree (the Staff invited me to go in). I didn't want as I said I will wait for the police to come. While waiting, I went thru my bag and belongings that I collected from the store room earlier. I realised some items was missing. So, I asked Mr Shree to help me search for my belongings. Shree was nice and invited me to go in to collect but I didn't want as I don't want to see his boss face till the police come. But Shree told me he would walk in with me. So, I left my belongings (bags) at the front desk and went in.

I was in the store room looking for my stuff as there were bags and many other people belongings was inside too. Shree found my basket and gave to me. I was still looking for my comb and shampoo and suddenly Kelvin (Owner) came in. Without talking to me or asking nicely, he started shouting at Shree "What is this gal doing here!!!!" and I told him i am looking for my things. He then replied "Get out! Get out! Keluar! Keluar! You are not a member here!" I said as long as I don't terminate the service and you didn't refund me, I am still a member!" Then he didn't want to let me search my things and kept chasing me out. And kept using the words “Faster! Faster! Get Out! Get Out!” For the first time after hours of trying to control my temper, I raised my voice back and said " I am looking for my stuff!!!" and he kept shouting at me that he will pulled me out if i don't get out from here now. I stood up and threw the basket that i was holding on the floor and raised my voice! "Don't mess with me! I have enough tolerance! Don't think I am a gal and you can bully me!!!!"

Suddenly, the Inspector called and asked me if I have arrived. While talking on the phone, Kelvin start to softer as he knew I wasn't fooling that I will make a police report. And he said he want to see me take my things. I said fine and he was just standing one(1), I repeat one(1) feet from me (which is almost like next to me). So I bend down again to search for my things. Since he was just so near to me, the things inside the garbage bags was too full and I had to sorted it out. So, I left the stuff at the side just 2 inch away from his foot. Suddenly, he kicked the clothes towards me!!! 

I stood up and looked at him. I walked out and the Inspector arrived. I explained the whole scenario to the Inspector. The Inspector warned him and gave him a few words.

Inspector even told him, he has no right to cut the padlocks and he should informed the members at least before he do it despite whatever reason. Kelvin claimed that he has briefed all his members but honestly we wasn't aware at all and was not brief not see any agreement stated. Yes, I might have mislook that there were a sign (with small words) stuck to one of the lockers about lockers. But I didn't notice and I believe most people did not notice too. The Inspector suggested that he must brief and asked all members to signed after briefing to avoid miscommunication.

Then, no matter how or what, they cannot banged the table. They cannot shout at the members or chased the members.

While the police took a walk with me to see the lockers and store room. My husband had a word with Kelvin (Owner). He threatened my husband that he would use violent if I wasn't a woman. Or he would use gangsterism if we didn't give in.

I asked for termination of membership and refund but they do not want to agree. The Inspector repeatedly asked for his proeedure or agreement for the membership that we signed but he couldn't revealed as he knew he didn't had any. 

FYI, after this incident, I shared with my friends what happened. I was told that this is not the first time incident like this happened at Absolute Fitness. There are few cases they used gangsterism to solve problems. It was already a few times and some even take their cases to legally. 

I am sharing this to you all so that it doesn't happen to you...

Chai Mei Lee

No comments:

Zahid's land corporation proposal is insidious, unfeasible

  One proposal announced by no less than Deputy Prime Minister Ahmad Zahid Hamidi went relatively unnoticed at the recently concluded  Anwar...