Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Press Statement from YB Elizabeth Wong
On the forcible removal of the Cross at Taman Medan
1. Following the unwarranted and disturbing incident outside a Church at Taman Medan, a meeting was convened this morning with representatives of the Community of Praise Petaling Jaya Church, advisors to the State Committee on Non-Islam Affairs (HESI), councilors of Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) Mr FK Tang and Mr Peter Chong, Member of Parliament Petaling Jaya Selatan YB Hee Loy Sian and state representatives YB Hannah Yeoh and YB R. Rajiv.
2. In the meeting, several matters were clarified. They include:-
2.1 That the Church has been meeting since August 2014, serving Christians from the community;
2.2 That the Cross was put up on 17th April 2015 outside the premises;
2.3 That the violent protest held by Umno branch on 19th April 2015 had intimidated the Christians who were there at their regular Sunday service and had forced the Pastor to bring down the Cross out of fear for the safety of the congregation.
3. In addition, MBPJ Councillors also clarified that since 2008, the previous State Committee on Non-Islam Affairs (then known as State Committee on Non-Islam Places of Worship or RIBI) has allowed Churches to operate in commercial premises or offices without the need for application of permits, only by way of notification to the committee. This is based on the principle that Article 11 of the Federal Constitution embodies freedom of worship.
4. Therefore, today's statement by the Public Relations Officer of MBPJ as reported in The Star newspaper that Churches in office blocks need to apply for permits is not accurate. There is no such policy put forward by the state committee HESI. A notification to HESI committee suffices. And if any local councils have any issues or questions, they are to refer back to the HESI committee.
5. There are however existing guidelines on stand-alone Non-Islamic Buildings of Worship which cover land applications, land conversions, buildings, demolitions and applications for funds.
6. As firmly expressed by the Menteri Besar YAB Azmin Ali yesterday, the State Government finds the forcible removal of the Cross to be abhorrent to Christians and to the fundamentals of freedom of worship enshrined in the Federal Constitution. In the meeting, we have advised the Church to return the Cross to its origin site to stop this precedent of mob rule by politically-aligned extremists.
7. At the same time, we call upon the Royal Malaysian Police to take this matter very seriously in order to ensure the safety of worshippers are protected at all times and there will be no repeats of such cases in Selangor.
YB Elizabeth Wong
Co-Chair, State Committee on Non-Islam Affairs
Selangor State Executive Councillor
M A H A T H I R Mahathir Anwar H
TODAY ALLAH HAS ANSWERED MALAYSIANS' PRAYERS. HAPPY TO NOTE THAT IGP KHALID CAN LOOK FORWARD TO SETTING UP A NEW BUSINESS OF SELLI...
THE MALAYSIAN ROGUE BANKER WHO WEAR’S SHEEP’S CLOTHING Who are Nazir Razak & Azlina Aziz? How they cheated the rakyat’s money throug...
Argentina has Eva Peron. Malaysia has Maria Chin Abdullah. By now many people will have known that it is not Najib that gave the command f...